John Bowling (d. 1684) immigrated to Maryland sometime before 1663 and settled along the Patuxent. From various events, we can estimate his birth between 1635 and 1640. Other than his neighbor Richard Marsham, almost none of the people mentioned in John Bowling’s estate documents or other affairs intersects with the circle of Capt. James Bowling. Nor do the relations mentioned in the next generation mention other Bowlings in Maryland. Also, this John Bowling could sign his name (whereas James Bowling just used a mark). Accordingly it is concluded that this John Bowling of Calvert County (d. 1684) is NOT related to the family of Capt. James Bowling.
John Bowling is first mentioned in April 1663 when he and Richard Wadsworth were members of a jury (ArchMd 49:13-14). In 1669, William Collins, John Bowling and George Lingam gave information about the death of Richard Marsham’s servant but Marsham was found not guilty (ArchMd 57:601). In 1679, John Bowling and William Wadsworth are listed among the many debtors or creditors of the estate of Charles Gosfright of Calvert County (Acct. 6.631). John Bowling was signatory (sealed) to a boundary dispute in Calvert County in 1681 (ArchMd 70:232).
His major property was “The Exchange” which he and John King patented in 1663/4 for (500 acres) on the west side of the upper Patuxent River in the area now known as the Patuxent River Park in Prince George’s County (before 1696 both sides of the Patuxent were in Calvert County). Neighboring were several properties of Richard Marsham: Marsham’s Rest, His Lordship’s Favor and Barren Points (Land 7/54-56 SR 7349; CB3i/165 SR 7367; (CC4i/14 SR 7375). Likewise it was adjacent to properties of Thomas Truman in 1664 (L6/224 SR7438; L7/627 SR 7349). John King died without issue and the tract “The Exchange” passed to his partner John Bowling. In 1683, an Act was passed to set up a port “att John Bowlings Land neer Gaunts Land” on the west bank of the Patuxent River. But no town ever appeared and an alternative site across the river won out economically across the river at what is now Lower Marlboro.
John Bowling’s 1684 will named his wife Mary as executrix with a life interest in his estate. To son John and his heirs was given all land, and his children John, Richard and another were to receive the residue of the personal estate at age 16. The witnesses were his neighbors Thomas and William Truman, Richard Marsham, Philip Loran (dated 9 June 1684; proved 22 Nov. 1684; PC 4.87). His inventory of 20 Jan 1684 totalling £103.14.1 was appraised by Thomas Gant, Thomas Blanford (Inv. 8.313). By the time of the estate accounting on 9 July 1686, his widow is listed as Mary Evans, wife of Benjamin Evans (Acct. 9.32). [N.B: Mary Louise Donnelly (Beaven-Blanford-Clarkson-Mitchell and Allied Families, p.2-3) speculated that this Benjamin Evans was connected to the Beaven family, but I have seen no evidence for this and consider it unlikely.]
- marr. Mary —, who then married 1684-86 Benjamin Evans.
- a) John (d. 1711)
- b) Richard (b. after 1668). Probably the “Richard Bowlin” who is a creditor of the estate of Aaron Hall of Calvert Co. in 1706.
- c) ? Mary. Based only on the mention of a “Mary Bowling, Jr.” who receives personalty in the 1676 will of Thomas Ignett of Calvert Co. But she would be still a minor.
John Bowling (d. March-April 1711) of John
Apparently still a minor at his father’s death in 1684, we can estimate this John Bowling’s birth around 1670.
John Bowling inherited The Exchange and sold it to William Barton, Gent. of P.G. County, for £40 sterling in 1700 (PG Land, Deeds, A: 317). John signed it with his mark, and his wife Mary acknowledged. On 26 March 1703, Barton and Marsham clarify titles to “Bowling’s Neck”, a 200-acre parcel adjacent to Marsham’s Rest and The Exchange — presumably it has its name from this John Bowling or his father.
The Calvert County Rent Rolls (of various dates, pp. 52, 63, 75) show that other properties possessed by John Bowling (or his son?) included Turkey Thicket (200 acres), on the east side of the Patuxent River in the woods above the head of Hunting Creek (in 1734, it was sold by his son-in-law Richard Deale to Thomas Hinton); 50 acres of Newington, on the east side of the Patuxent; 50 acres of Timberwell (surveyed in 1663 for Richard Wadsworth on the east side of the Patuxent, with later 400 acres possessed by William Wadsworth) and 50 acres of Ridge.
The 1710 will of William Wadsworth of Calvert County leaves most of his land (including his dwelling plantation “Timberwell” to his grandsons Henry and William Kent (son of Absalom Kent) but also bequeathes to “cousin” John Bowling 74 acres adjoining his own land. The relationship of the “cousin” is not clear, although it would seem to be a connection through John Bowling’s wife.
John Bowling made his will 8 March 1710/11, which was probated 2 May 1711 for Calvert County (PC 18. 212). He left to his son John at 16 yrs. 200 acres called “Turkey Thickett” and to his daughter Martha at 16 yrs. his dwelling plantation part of “Newington” as well as an adjacent 75 acres of “Timberwell” — with the caveat that his son could exchange the properties with his sister if he so wished. No mention is made of a wife, and John Bowles and Richard Stallings were appointed guardians for the minor children. The next of kin for the inventory and initial accounts was Thomas Seager (relationship not clear, but probably related to the indentured servant Edward Seager given his freedom in will of Richard Jackson, of Calvert County in 1698). The accounting of May 1719 mentions that the son John Bowling is dead and the daughter Martha Bowling has married Richard Deale. Richard and Martha Deale finally received their promised part of Timberwell through the will of William Kent, written 1726.
- marr. Mary — (d. before 1711)
- a) John (d. bef. 1719 without issue)
- b) Marta, marr. Richard Deale
N.B. This John Bowling (d. March-April 1711) of John is to be distinguished from John Bowling (1673-May-June 1711) of Thomas.