Futher information on Roger Bowling (d. 1673)
DEATH and WIFE can be fairly clearly established:
- The burial of Roger Bowling of Charnock Richard on 18 Sept 1673 at St Wilfrids, Standish. This is the day after his will is written.
- The burial of Elizabeth Bowling, wife of Roger Bowling, of Charnock Richard on 14 July 1654 at St Wilfrids, Standish. If he did not remarry (he makes no mention of a wife in his 1673 will), then we can probably assume all his children were by his wife Elizabeth.
BIRTH and PARENTAGE:
The baptisms of about fifty Bowlings are attested there from the 1550 to 1650, and Roger is a name found in several generations, so locating the specific line is not easy. The fact that there is no baptismal record for the children mentioned in Roger’s will of 1673 suggests that there could be many more Bowlings than attested in the church records.
But there is only one baptismal record for a Roger Bowling before 1650 and it fits well with the dates of his children which suggest that he was born before between 1605 and 1620. So it is likely (although there could be other Rogers) that Roger Bowling (d. 1673) is the one recorded as follows:
- Roger son of Hughe Bowlinge of Charnock Richard, bapt. 21 Feb 1618/9 (1619 in the new style) at the St. Laurence’s, Chorley.
There is also one (and only one) baptism recorded in the period before 1650 for a child of Roger Bowling:
- Margaret, da. of Roger Boolinge of Charnock Richard, bapt 19 May 1643 at St. Laurence’s, Chorley.
- Margaret Bowling, daughter of Roger Bowling, of Charnock Richard on 19 Oct 1661 buried at St Wilfrids, Standish.
Why is only this one baptism attested? Perhaps the family usually baptized their children in secret Catholic ceremonies, but during the English Civil War, it was prudent to baptize the child publicly?
There are at least three other Roger Bowlings in this same parish who are a generation or two younger and must be distinguished from Roger (d. 1673).
a) Roger (b. c. 1630-1640). This Roger and Elizabeth Bowling had a number of children baptized between 1661 and 1678 (Ellen, Hugh, Roger, Henry, Ann, Elizabeth).
b) Roger (b. 1666), son of Roger and Elizabeth above.
c) Roger (b. 1658), son of John Bowling & Allis, bapt. 21 Mar 1657/8 St Wilfrids, Standish.
There are date deaths for two of these (but which two?):
- Roger Bowling (d. 1701) of Charnock Richard was buried 22 Sep 1701 St Wilfrids, Standish.
- Roger Bowling (d. 1701) of Charnock Richard was buried 7 Aug 1702 St Wilfrids, Standish.